Your hair is an important part of your body that also needs nourishment. In fact, the latest beauty trend includes healthy and shiny hair because most people think; a good-looking hair is a sign of beauty and healthily living. So the desire for thick, long, and healthier hair increases every day. Many people turn to nutritional elements that can produce a beneficial effect on their hair.
So what vitamins are suitable for your hair? If this is the question that kept bugging your mind, then the answer is here; multiple vitamins are good for your hair which can help you achieve that hair you usually admire in celebrities; these include vitamins A, B, C D, and E and many more. But first, you’ll need to identify the factors that can lead to hair damage before starting your healthy hair journey. This article provides you with possible reasons your hair is damaged and what vitamins are good for hair growth. Patiently read through to have a head-start.
Reasons your hair is damaged
Hair damage can affect every hair, be it straight or curly, and here are multiple reasons for that:
- The hair product: The hair product you are using is the number one factor affecting your hair growth. Most products contain harsh chemicals that can weaken your hair and make it impossible to grow.
- Diet: What you eat has a great influence on your hair. If your body is deficient in some nutrients, your hair will appear dry, brittle, dull, and weak, which may lead to hair loss.
- Stress: Stress causes your hair to loose from the scalp. However, once that stress period pass, your hair will regrow.
- Tight hairstyle: Tight hairstyle can break your hair from its root, although it’s a temporary hair loss; the hair will regrow after loosening the hairstyle, but if the hairstyle becomes frequent, it will lead to permanent hair loss.
- Towel drying: Rubbing a towel on your wet hair can cause hair breakage because wet hair gets damaged easily compared to dry hair.
Ways To Prevent Hair Damage
After identifying the cause of your hair damage, the next step is to find ways to prevent the damage from recurring.
- Avoid any product that can affect your hair. When buying, make sure you check the ingredients. You can also choose a gentle shampoo or one with neutral Ph; it will improve your hair health.
- Reduce the stress: If stress is the reason your hair is damaged, schedule some time to rest, it will help prevent hair loss.
- Your diet should include vitamins that will nourish and strengthen your hair, and these vitamins include protein, Omega-3s, iron, etc.
- Use conditioner after shampooing; this will lessen the effect of the shampoo on the hair.
- Cover your hair with a hat when entering swimming pools to prevent the chlorine inside the water from damaging your hair.
- After washing your hair, allow it to dry naturally by air, or just wrap the hair with a towel and allow it to absorb the moisture.
In this article, find out what differentiates between iRestore professional vs iRestore essential.
Vitamins that can improve your hair growth and health
Multiple reasons, as stated above, can lead to hair damage. However, there are a lot of effective vitamins that will help you grow healthier, stronger, and shinier hair.
- Vitamin A
Vitamin A is an important element for cell growth, and hair is the fastest growing tissue in the body. When you absorb vitamin A, it helps your glands produce a sebum substance. This sebum moisturizes your scalp and keeps it healthy. Lack of vitamin A leads to multiple problems, including hair loss. But, even though your body needs vitamin A, too much of it can lead to hair loss also, so it’s better to absorb it moderately. You can find vitamin A in food substances like carrot, sweet potatoes, milk, eggs, yogurt, tomatoes, mangoes, etc.
- B Vitamins
B vitamin, also called biotin, is a known element for hair growth because it carries oxygen and nutrients to the scalp. If you want to add biotin to your diet, take foods like whole grains, meat, leafy greens, seafood, etc. Most sources of vitamin B are animal products. If you’re vegetarian or vegan, you may need a supplement.
- Vitamin C
Vitamin C is an effective antioxidant that produces free radicals in the body. It increases collagen, a protein that the body needs for hair, nails, and skin health. Vitamin C helps adequate blood flow to your scalp. It also prevents your hair from sun damage. Vitamin C deficiency leads to dry hair, brittleness, and hair loss. Foods containing vitamin C include broccoli, strawberries, pepper, potatoes, citrus fruits such as oranges, etc.
- Vitamin D
Vitamin D provides multiple benefits to the body, including maintaining a healthy scalp. Vitamin D can be obtained in two forms.
- Vitamin D2: Vitamin D2 is obtained from plant-based food substances such as leafy greens, mushrooms, and some dietary medications.
- Vitamin D3: Vitamin D3 is obtained from animal-based food substances like oily fish, milk, cheese, and liver. It can also be implanted or taken as a supplement. When sunlight converts cholesterol into vitamin D, the body also produces this vitamin D.
- Vitamin E
Vitamin E is a fat-soluble nutrient that sustains your scalp, which leads to healthy hair growth. It also prevents premature grey hair and can be obtained from food or as a supplement. If you like to add vitamin E to your diet, do well to eat nuts, leafy greens, avocados, etc.
Your hair also contains proteins; protein is the building block of your hair, meaning you need protein to keep the hair long, shiny, and thick. Foods like eggs, dark leafy greens, and citrus fruits are the best protein sources.
Iron with other nutrients such as vitamin A, B, and C plays a significant role in maintaining healthy hair and preventing premature grey hair and hair loss. They play a role in dividing the matrix cells lying at the root of your hair. However, unless your doctor prescribed iron supplements for hair growth, it’s better to obtain iron from other sources rather than supplements. Foods rich in iron include beans, seafood, red meat, pork, poultry, dark greeny leaves, peas, dried fruits, etc.
Zinc prevents hair loss, strengthens your hair, encourages hair growth, and plays a vital role in building and repairing hair tissues. The body does not produce Zinc naturally; hence, you need to obtain it from food substances or supplements. Food substances containing Zinc include oysters, seafood, meat, poultry, cashews, almonds, baked kidney beans, etc. Zinc in the body is required in low quantity, and excess Zinc can lead to hormonal imbalance, which might cause hair thinning and hair loss.
- Pantothenic Acid
Also called vitamin B5, Pantothenic acid is an important nutrient essential for hair growth. This vitamin promotes hair growth and relieves skin itching and flakes associated with dandruff, which might severely affect your hair. Although deficiency of this vitamin is rare in developed areas, inadequate amounts can lead to problems including hair weakening, hair thinning, and hair loss. You can obtain this vitamin from food substances such as whole grains, legumes, and fish. You can as well take this vitamin in the form of a supplement. But studies show that when food containing this vitamin is processed, a large amount of it is lost, and excess intake can lead to diarrhea and risk of bleeding.
- Vitamin B12
Vitamin B12, also called cobalamin, is a water-soluble vitamin that helps form red blood cells. Although the body can’t store excess water-soluble vitamins, vitamin B12 indefinitely remains in the body, stored in the liver. Vitamin B12 improves hair growth through red blood cells that carry oxygen to the living portion of your hair. If you wish to add vitamin B12 to your diet, look no further than meat, dairy products, shellfish, oysters, poultry, beef liver, etc.
How soon will the vitamins start working effectively?
Hair falling can also occur naturally, especially when the hair is undergoing a healthy renewal circle.
Although the result of vitamin hair treatment will depend on the severity of the hair damage, taking these vitamin supplements or adding them to your diet would start working after three months. Studies conclude that you will experience a healthy scalp restoration and active hair regrowth after taking vitamin supplements for three months.
Read about why the hairmax laser cap is one of the most preferred among other brands.
Vitamins play an essential role in the body, especially hair, but what Vitamins are suitable for your hair? Multiple vitamins like vitamins A, B, C, D, E, and many more are good for your hair. You can increase the rate of experiencing shiny and healthy hair by adding these vitamins to your diet. You can also take them in the form of supplements. However, excess intake of all these vitamins can harm your body. So it’s advisable to take everything moderately.