Have you admired that long, shiny hair usually seen on celebrities’ heads? You’ve even stumbled upon a post that says there are multiple ways to get that kind of hair, but you are skeptical about trying it. Also, have you heard of castor oil for hair growth and its usefulness? Although it might not be the miracle you are looking for. It’s still one of the best remedies to use and get that hair you are always dreaming about.
Many people have proved castor oil is what they used to get their long hair. But is there any scientific proof that backs this claim? There is no scientific evidence articulating castor oil help in hair growth. Still, the nutrients like antioxidants and fatty acids present in castor oil have significant health benefits, contributing to hair growth. Many hair products contain castor oil as a powerful ingredient to treat dry scalp and other scalp problems. Also, if castor oil treats scalp problems, this will give room for further hair growth.
This article contains more than what you need about castor oil, from its benefits to the best way to use it and the precautions and side effects. Continue reading to get a head start.
Benefits Of Castor Oil
Castor oil has been around for many years. It is obtained by extracting oil from the ricinus comminus plant seed. However, these seeds have a toxic enzyme called ricin. But, this enzyme is rendered inactive during the castor oil’s heating process, so you can safely use it. Castor oil is commonly used in food additives, medications, and skincare products. Its application includes treating constipation and skin ailments in recent times, and its constituent is also present in beauty products. Below are some health benefits of castor oil:
- Nourishment: Castor oil has a nourishing and healing effect. It is beneficial to your skin and hair. You will get a youthful look alongside beautiful and shiny hair!
- Gives shiny hair: Castor oil will solve that dull and dry look problem. Dermatologist Dr. Deepali Bhardwaj says, “castor oil is the best remedy to enrich your scalp because it contains two important nutrients; ricinoleic acid and omega-6 fatty acid. In addition, it also enhances blood circulation when massaged onto the scalp, thus increasing hair growth”.
- Prevents hair fall: Hair fall is one of the common problems most ladies face around the globe. This discovery is challenging, making people look for possible ways to stop it. Castor oil makes hair roots more substantial, just massage it on your scalp consistently and see the tremendous changes.
- Stimulate hair growth: Aside from making your hair root stronger, castor oil can trigger and stimulate hair growth from the dominant follicles. Mix the castor oil with fenugreek or methi powder, apply it once a week, and use it as a hair mask to get the best result.
- Solve dryness: Castor oil can effectively treat hair dryness if given a chance because it contains exfoliating properties. Not only hair, but it can also treat all dryness in the body, including underfoot, dry palms, and skin. Experts have even proved castor oil as a treatment for Atopic Dermatitis, skin disease due to climate change, and pollution.
- Anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties: Castor oil is good for treating the irritated scalp, excess fat, and dandruff and moistening the scalp because of its anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Read previous article >>> How To Stimulate Hair Growth?
Types of Castor Oil
It is essential to know the various type of Castor oil, for this will give you an insight into the one that suits you the most. There are three major types of Castor oil, and each has different usage.
- Organic castor oil: Organic castor oil is specifically made for hair. However, it’s still good for the skin.
- Jamaican castor oil: Jamaican castor oil, also known as cold-pressed oil, is predominantly used to treat skin and scalp-related problems such as acne and dandruff. It’s extracted directly from unheated castor oil seeds so it can be further refined or unrefined. It is best for dense or coarse hair types.
- Hydrogenated castor oil: Hydrogenated castor oil is in dilute form. Meaning it has undergone hydrogenation which is a process that involves the usage of a nickel catalyst to process the oil. It is best for more delicate hair types.
How To Use Castor Oil For Hair Growth
There is no rule for using castor oil. You can decide to apply it overnight or gently massage it on your scalp as a mask. Furthermore, the best method to apply it depends on your hair type. Below is a guide on using castor oil for your hair growth.
Castor oil and coconut oil:
Coconut oil comprises fatty acid that is highly beneficial to the body. It is known to strengthen hair roots and improve hair growth. It makes the best combination for rapid hair growth with castor oil. To use it:
- Mix castor oil and coconut oil.
- Massage it on the root of your hair, cover the hair root completely, and keep the mask for 2 hours.
- Use lukewarm water to wash it, and repeat the process twice a week for an effective result.
Castor oil and olive oil:
Olive oil contains high monosaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acid content. It protects and seals the hair’s natural moisture barrier, serves as a natural conditioner, reduces hair loss, and promotes growth. Coupled with castor oil, it makes the best remedy for hair growth. To use it:
- Mix the two in equal portions depending on your hair mass.
- Heat the mixture for 2 seconds on low flame, allow it to cool, and massage it on the hair.
- Cover the hair for two hours, then use shampoo and lukewarm water to wash it.
- Repeat the process once a week.
Castor oil and aloe vera:
Since the olden days, aloe vera has been a good hair growth treatment ingredient. It removes excess oil, dirt, and impurities from your hair. It is also rich in vitamins A, C, and E, which help in reducing scalp stress. To use it, mix 2 tsp of Castor oil, ½ tsp of aloe oil, 1 tsp of basil powder, and 2 tsp of fenugreek powder. Blend the ingredients, apply the solution thoroughly to the hair, cover it, and allow it for 1hour, then use lukewarm water to wash it off.
Castor oil and onion juice:
Onion juice is long known as an effective hair growth treatment that gives an immediate result. It provides strength and shines to hair. Together with castor oil, it offers the best hair growth treatment. To use it, mix 2 tbsp of Castor oil with 2 tbsp of onion juice, massage the outcome onto your hair and leave it for two hours, then use lukewarm water and wash it off.
Side Effects and Precautions
Although castor oil is safe for hair growth, it is essential to note that it can cause irritation on sensitive scalps, so test it first on your skin before applying it to your scalp. It is also necessary to use extra caution when applying it before bedtime because castor oil can stain your clothes and towels. Also, the oil can transfer from your pillow to your face causing a potential breakout. And your hair may require two shampoo applications before you can successfully remove the oil.
In addition, if you want to use castor oil to treat hair loss, it is important to talk to your doctor first to know the cause of the hair loss before you start any treatment.
Also, read >>>The benefits of biotin as a treatment
There is no scientific evidence backing the claim that castor oil improves hair growth. However, multiple people that have used it experienced positive changes in their hair. If you are looking for the best hair growth treatment, even castor oil cannot give you the miracle result you desire. Still, it will at least do wonders for your hair and scalp because it contains nutrients like antioxidants and fatty acids beneficial to the body. It would be best to be cautious of everyday activities like tight hairstyle, overheating, or brushing too hard, which can cause hair breakage.